view of the deck and entrance to Pratt Institute Library
Tubby, William Bunker (American architect, 1858-1944) amateur architect, building|Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company (American glass manufactory, 19th-20th centuries) interior designer, stacks and interior furnishings|Howells, John Mead (American architect, 1868-1959) architect, north porch|Cavaglieri and Gran Architects (20th century American architecture firm) architect, renovation
The Pratt Institute Library was built as a public as well as a college library. It is a designated New York City Landmark and part of the Pratt Institute Historic District. The building opened in 1896, though the library as an institution had existed since 1888. Originally located in the Main Building, it was the first free library in Brooklyn. The library building was designed by architect William Tubby in the Renaissance Revival style, with Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company responsible for the interiors. As designed, the entrance was on the north side of the building. The building is notable for its early inclusion of a children's room, and in 1912, a dedicated children's entrance fashioned after the Norman staircase of Canterbury Cathedral was added to the building's south side. The north porch by John Mead Howells, now sealed off, was added in 1936. In 1980, the children's porch was removed to make way for an expansion of the basement level and the addition of the south plaza.
200 Willoughby Ave, Brooklyn, New York, New York, United States (original)